Your First OB-GYN Visit

As a young girl, you may have had yearly checkups with a doctor called a pediatrician. This type of doctor specializes in examining and working with children to make sure that they are healthy. However, as you become older and you become a woman, you will need to start seeing a new doctor, called an Obstetrician and Gynecologist, known as an Ob-Gyn. This type of doctor also gives you check ups, but also specializes in the health of your reproductive system. It is very important to see your Ob-Gyn once a year, where they will perform normal check up tests, as well as specialized tests such as pelvic exams and pap tests. This page goes over what you can expect at your doctor’s office the first time you go to your Ob-Gyn.